Wallpapers and wall murals are definitely back in trend and we should enjoy the benefits of using them for decorating our rooms. Installing a wallpaper can be a challenge if you haven't done this before. Here you will find the most essential steps to follow when applying a wallpaper.
How to prepare the room before installing the wallpaper?
To keep safe the decor objects you need to make room for hanging the wallpaper. If you want to apply the wallpaper just as an accent on a wall, remove only the decorative objects and pieces of furniture around that wall.
In case you want to apply the wallpaper on all the walls of a room, remove the carpets, the furniture and all the decorative objects and gather it in the center of the room. If the room where you decide to apply the wallpaper is small, it would be better to store the furniture in another room. The most important thing is that all the walls on which you want to apply the wallpaper must remain bare.
The next step is to protect your floor, because during the preparation of the adhesive paste, it is possible to stain the floor. You can use special floor protection materials, or improvise from things you have at home: plastic sheets, plastic bags, etc.
What do you need to install a wallpaper?
Once you have organized the space, you are very close to reach your target. So the next step to take is to prepare the tools you will need!
Here are the supplies that you need in order to install a wallpaper:
- Wallpaper. When buying a wallpaper, make sure you buy the right number of rolls or the right amount of square meters. You can even buy with a roller more than you calculated, and use it to decorate a closet or something else. You can find here how to estimate the amount of wallpaper you need for applying on your surface.
- Wallpaper adhesive. The chosen adhesive must be compatible with the type of wallpaper you are going to apply on the wall. Important to know that depending on the material of your wallpaper, the adhesive you need will be different. The adhesive used differs in the case of non-woven and paper wallpaper.
- Wallpaper paste brush (or large paint brush). To apply the adhesive paste on the wall, you will need a large brush or a roller. When you have to apply the adhesive paste near the corners of the wall, you may need also a smaller brush.
- Roller and a tray
- A Pencil
- Roulette. You will need a roulette to carefully measure the surface on which you will hang the wallpaper.
- Cutter and scissors. Cutter to cut excess wallpaper and scissors to cut rolls of wallpaper before application.
- A plastic spatula. It will help you smooth the surface of the wallpaper to break any air bubbles.
- A straightedge
- A ladder
- A soft sponge or some clean clothes for smoothing down the wallpaper onto the wall.
- An extra person and patience.
Installing a wallpaper. Step by step instruction.
- Preparation of the surface. The secret of a good result when installing a wallpaper is to make sure that the walls are well cleaned, smooth, dry, free of dust and grease.
Note: There are different type of wallpaper, so following the manufacturer's instructions, written on the roll, is extremely important to avoid installation errors.
- Measure the height of the walls, from floor to ceiling.
- Cut the wallpaper into strips, using a cutter and a ruler, adding about 5-10 centimetres compared to the measurements obtained previously.
- If the wallpaper has various prints, we will keep the continuity of the design when we cut or glue the strips.
- Unless otherwise indicated, apply the adhesive evenly directly to the wallpaper, and also to the wall, using a brush (for the wallpaper) and a roller (for the wall). Spread the sheets on the table for a more uniform application.
- We install the wallpaper from top to bottom, in the order in which the strips were cut from the roll, aiming at the same time to eliminate the air that can form inside, by smoothing the wallpaper with a brush or a soft clean rubber roller.
- Surplus wallpaper left in the floor area can be cut with a cutter and ruler.
- For a wallpaper with pattern, pay close attention to the perfect joint between the strips. Don't confuse the wallpaper strips. Once placed on the wall, move the strip up or down until the pattern blends perfectly. Do not leave free space between two strips and do not cover the outside of the wallpaper with adhesive. If the adhesive happens to come to the surface, quickly remove it with a sponge.
Installing wallpaper can be a very easy task if you follow the essential steps carefully.